The Pufendorf IAS
The proposal to establish an Institute for Advanced Studies at Lund University was submitted by Professor Sture Forsén in 2007 and was approved the same year by the University’s council for research development. It was established by Vice-Chancellor Göran Bexell in December 2008. The Institute was named after Samuel von Pufendorf (1632–1694), one of the University’s first professors. Sture Forsén was appointed as the first Director and he still works at the Institute, now as Senior Scientific Advisor.
In the spring of 2008, the Institute moved into its present location. Classicum was closed after having housed the Museum of Classical Antiquities and the Department of Classical Archaeology and Ancient History. The Institute was given the opportunity to take over the building, dating from 1886, which was originally constructed to house the Department of Physics, and which until 1951 was called “Fysicum”. A generous grant from the Marianne and Marcus Wallenberg Foundation enabled a thorough renovation of the building and in May 2009, the Pufendorf Institute was inaugurated at the corner of Sölvegatan and Biskopsgatan.